Saturday, February 03, 2007

RIP Molly Ivins

Brothers, Sisters, and Transgendered Comedists Everywhere,

Yes, as most of you know we lost another giant this week. Molly Ivins was the queen of the political zinger. An amazing sense of when to be outraged, when to be tender, and when to pull one out of left field, she could be funny as could be but never let it get in the way of message. A big brain, a big heart, and a big funny bone. Molly, you will be dearly missed.

Here are few of my faves:

"Many people did not care for Pat Buchanan's speech; it probably sounded better in the original German."

"I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults."

"The first rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging."

"You can't ignore politics, no matter how much you'd like to."

"It's hard to argue against cynics -- they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side."

"It's like, duh. Just when you thought there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between the two parties, the Republicans go and prove you're wrong."

"you could have knocked me over with Michael Huffington's brain."

"I have been attacked by Rush Limbaugh on the air, an experience somewhat akin to being gummed by a newt. It doesn't actually hurt, but it leaves you with slimy stuff on your ankle."

"If ignorance ever goes to $40 a barrel, I want drillin' rights on that man's head."

"There is one area in which I think Paglia and I would agree that politically correct feminism has produced a noticeable inequity. Nowadays, when a woman behaves in a hysterical and disagreeable fashion, we say, 'Poor dear, it's probably PMS.' Whereas, if a man behaves in a hysterical and disagreeable fashion, we say, 'What an asshole.' Let me leap to correct this unfairness by saying of Paglia, 'Sheesh, what an asshole.'"

"Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

At least she's with Will Rogers trading barbs, now. But down here we miss you lots.

Live, love, and laugh.

Irreverend Steve