Friday, May 02, 2008

Passing the Plate: Sometimes a Cigar Is Just a Cigar Edition

Brothers, Sisters, and Transgendered Comedists Everywhere,

It is time to pass the collection plate again, my dear friends. As long-time Comedists know, where other religions ask for money we prefer donations of jokes. This week is the birthday of Sigmund Freud. In his honor, we're passing the plate for Freud or psychiatrist jokes. Dig deep, give generously to your congregation.

My first offering is a joke I wrote a while back:

Why did the Freudian chicken cross the road?

Because it was envious of the cock.
Perhaps the greatest Freud line, however, came from the old sit-com Cheers when someone asked Cliffy what a Freudian slip was and he responded, "It's when you say one thing, but meant to say a mother." Man, I love that line.

And then there's the great Steven Wright line,
"I sent my dog to a psychiatrist, but he wasn't sure if he was allowed on the couch."
Rodney's great,
"I told my wife I was seeing a psychiatrist. She told me she was seeing a psychiatrist, two bartenders, and a plumber."
So, what's your favorite shrink joke, folks?

Live, love, and laugh,

Irreverend Steve