Sunday, May 13, 2007

In Praise of Hallmark Holidays

Coming off of Mothers' Day when thoughts were with Mom, it is worth thinking about the day. I have heard many folks argue that Mothers' Day, Valentines Day, and the like are artificial creations of the greeting card industry. This may or may not be true, but I think they are valuable nonetheless.

It is true that I love my mother everyday, but the fact is many days are so damn busy that I don't get the chance to say it. I think it is important, especially nowadays, to have time that is especially set aside for those people who are important to us.

Is there someone in the corporate offices dreaming up things like "office assistants' day" so that they can make more sales? Probably, but the fact is that without Carol, I and my colleagues would be lost -- literally. Hopefully she knows how much we appreciate her, but having a time where we make that clear is a good thing since we all get a bit distracted having locked our keys in our offices...yet again.

So, I think that Hallmark holidays are good things. We have 365 or 6 days per year, I don't care if they get clogged up with artificially declared celebrations. These days, we are all often too busy to stop and express certain things that need to be out there. I think these days are valuable...especially if they come with cake.