Saturday, September 25, 2010

Comedist Confessions

My Fellow Comedists,

We just had Yom Kippur, the day when Jews around the world ask for forgiveness for their sins. (Leave it to the Jews to make the holiest day of the year a time set aside to feel guilty.) Catholics have confession and I was just listening the other day to Jim Gaffigan's take on confession -- "My wife keeps telling me I need to go to confession. It's been a long time. Now don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't enjoy lying to a holy man." And it struck me that we Comedists also need some means of absolution for our Comedist failings. We need an appropriate day. I was thinking of February 25th, Carrot Top's birthday, but I'll leave it open to suggestions.

Anyway, it seemed that in lieu of a formal day, we ought to have at least a post where we can air out our humorous sins and clear our consciences.

I will admit that I stifled a joke this week. I was driving the short people to school and as we passed a stable near us, the shorter of the short people read aloud a new sign that said "Weddings on horseback" and asked what it means. I thought it, but failed to say, "It means there will be more than one nag at the ceremony." Saint Shecky, please forgive me.

My fellow Comedists, where have you come up short?

Live, love, and laugh,

Irreverend Steve