Saturday, January 15, 2011

Classroom Comebacks

My Fellow Comedists,

Every Friday, I teach philosophy at a local middle school. Yesterday, we were talking about determinism. After the explanation was over and it was clear every understood the question, I asked whether they had free will. One student looked up and said, "Not in my house." It broke everyone up.

So, with the new semester starting, this weekend's question is "what is the funniest comment you ever heard/delivered in a classroom?"

My contribution comes from one of the first classes I ever taught, an evening ethics class for Anne Arundel Community College. We were discussing the difference between ethical precepts and social mores. One of the students raised his hand and asked, "Steve, what are mores?" I looked straight at him and said, "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a more." Greatest set up in my life.

Funniest classroom comebacks?

Live, love, and laugh,

Irreverend Steve